anxiety & depression

Therapy for Anxiety & Depression

in New York & Georgia

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Anxiety & depression are often pals. They hang around each other. You know them both a little too well. Feeling anxious, nervous, or on edge AND feeling down, depressed, or losing interest in things just isn't the way you want to be living your life.

1 in 5 New Yorkers experience a mental health issue in a given year, and hundreds of thousands of these New Yorkers are not connected to care, according to ThriveNYC.

Only 38.7% of adults with mental illness in Georgia receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers, according to SAMHSA. The remaining 61.3% receive no mental health treatment.

On the outside, you're steady while you groove in and out of each work day. Wearing a mask to reduce our risk of exposure to COVID-19 is one thing, but wearing the mask you live in to hide our emotions is harmful. Its personally & socially injurious, AND we avoid emotions because that's what many traditional ideals of masculinity have socialized us to do.

 

It's the buzzing noise, the tension, the pressure, and the heavy cloud following you around each day that tells you "you're no good", "you're going to mess up", "you suck", "it's just going to get worse", "why bother". You just don't feel great, but you don't say anything to anyone. And, if someone asks what's up, then you say "I don't want to talk about it".

We want to help, and we can understand why you'd rather avoid it. Inhibitory emotions like shame, guilt, and anxiety get in the way and interfere with our core emotions like anger, fear, sadness, disgust, joy, excitement, and sexual excitement. Frequently, we try to defend our Self somehow (e.g. depression) from all of the big, overwhelming emotions.

 

Working with a mindful and inclusive therapist can give you the safe space, outlet & sounding board, and therapeutic support that you need to untangle all of these thoughts, emotions, and defense behaviors while we unburden the parts of you that need attentive and intentional time and space to be seen, heard, and understood.

Holding it down in the city can be fun AND stressful.

 

Let's calmly & confidently work to empower your verve.

what to expect:

FIRST: Free 15 Minute Phone Consultation. This is the first opportunity for you and the therapist to ask each other questions. We discuss reasons why you're getting started in therapy, your needs and your therapeutic goals, and schedule availability. Mostly, we want to figure out if you and the therapist could be a good fit to work together. If so, then we schedule an intake appointment and you receive a Welcome Email to the Client Portal, where you can complete the required consent forms and book future appointments online.

SECOND: The Initial Intake Appointment. This is the next best opportunity for you to share as much about you and your life story as you can in order to help the therapist better understand you and what you need moving forward. Assessment & Evaluation of your mental health will guide discussion that is also focused on recent and remote history of many parts of you and your life like family, education, employment, self-care, and social relationships. We discuss a lot in this first appointment while we also make sure that the pace of our process helps you feel seen, heard, and understood. Finally, we identify specific therapeutic goals, discuss your treatment options, and create your personalized plan for therapy.

THIRD: First Follow Up Appointment. Assessment & Evaluation, Treatment Planning, and Discharge Planning will continue to show up as frequent topics of discussion throughout the course of treatment - they're not just discussed once in the first session and then never again mentioned. Now that you have had a chance to create a personalized plan for your therapy, we start working it into action. Mostly, we keep building rapport because the therapeutic relationship drives the work.

GOING FORWARD: Follow Up Appointments. Therapeutic process moves at your pace. Safely guiding clients through their own personalized treatment plan tops the agenda for each and every therapy session. Feedback Loops will help us monitor and modify how we work with each other in order to ensure that you get the return on your investment in therapy that you need because that is what matters to us most. Eventually, therapy will end and you will continue to build a life worth living.​

Lightbulbs